Descripción de “Migration and Cities (FutureLearn)”
Learn about how migration has shaped cities around the world and the particular issues that migrants face in urban contexts. Discover the fundamental links between migration and cities. Migration has always played a fundamental role in urban development. Without some form of inward migration – be it international or internal – cities would not develop or grow.
On this course you will explore the relationship between migration and cities both across history and in the world today. For example, you’ll learn about the influence of migration on the rise of modern, industrial cities in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. You will also look at a range of contemporary issues at the urban scale, such as employment, settlement, public space and local policy.
What topics will you cover?
– The different types of migration towards cities
– The role of migration on urban development over history
– Migrant labour in contemporary cities
– Settlement and residential distribution of migrants in cities
– Migration and urban public space
– Problems and conflicts arising from migration to cities
– Migration governance at the urban scale
– Migration and cultural heritage in cities
– Transnational urban networks among migrant groups
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
– Explore current debates on how migration has shaped cities historically
– Assess the role of cities in migrant integration
– Identify successful examples of cities that have turned migration into an advantage
– Reflect on the role of cities and other local actors in the governance of migration and migrant integration
Especificaciones: Migration and Cities (FutureLearn)
|Curso ofrecido por|
|Nivel, duración y fechas|
|Idioma del curso|
|Exámenes y Certificados|